The ears are a prominent feature that frames the face of an individual. The ears can highlight the best facial features or distract from them. Otoplasty may be a choice when ears appear too large, misshapen, unbalanced, or damaged. The Mayo Clinic states that otoplasty, also known as cosmetic ear surgery, is a procedure to change the shape, position, or size of the ears. Otoplasty is a cosmetic or reconstructive surgery that can fix aesthetic or birth defect issues and correct abnormalities caused by an injury.
Ear Surgery Expert for Children and Adults
Both children and adults can be good candidates for ear surgery. Otoplasty can be performed at any age once the ears have reached their full size after the age of 5. Children have pliable ear cartilage that can easily be reshaped, whereas, an adult’s ear cartilage is harder and not able to be easily reshaped. Otoplasty is a procedure that returns the ears to a “normal” appearance. Otoplasty can help improve one’s self-esteem and confidence.
Understanding all aspects of your ear surgery is important. During your consultation, the doctor will go over your medical history, discuss treatment options, recommend a course of treatment, and discuss your goals. Depending on the procedure, most ear surgeries will be performed within a few hours and the patient can go home on the same day.
Adhering to the post-surgery instructions is vital in the recovery process. Your doctor will outline the recovery process and inform when normal activities can resume. Below are the potential symptoms expected after the surgery.
- Swelling – Mild ear swelling can be minimized by elevating the head and remaining upright following the days after the procedure. The ear may feel heavy but will go away as the swelling subsides.
- Bruising – Bruising around the ear and neck will lessen after the first-week post-surgery.
- Bleeding – There may be a minimal amount of blood and fluid released around the sutures for a few days after the surgery.
- Itching – There will be temporary itching around the sutures and regions around the ear. Also, you could experience a numb feeling post-surgery in the ear but will go away after a few weeks.
- Pain – You may experience discomfort and soreness after ear surgery. Your doctor will prescribe pain medication to help alleviate pain. and tenderness around the ear will last several weeks after the surgery.
Otoplasty is considered one of the safest cosmetic surgery procedures. Resting after your surgery is just as important as following the doctor’s post-surgery instructions. Your body will be able to heal and recover faster with proper rest. The final results will be visible once the bandages are removed. Make sure to follow-up with your doctor and keep all post-surgery appointments to ensure proper healing.
New York City Otoplasty Specialist
Dr. Gary Linkov at City Facial Plastics in New York City offers ear cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Linkov specializes in the following procedures: ear reshaping, trauma of the ear, keloid removals, ear pinning, torn earlobe repair, and ear deformity corrections. If you or your child is experiencing confidence issues because of the shape of your ears, call Dr. Linkov today to schedule a consultation.